Monday, March 9, 2015

Make Every Day a Winnie-The-Pooh Day

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/File:Winnie_The_Pooh.png


When my daughter was a little girl, I gave her a stuffed Winnie the Pooh. That turned out to be her very favorite companion wherever she went. She dubbed him “Pooh Bear.” The small, yellow soft friend was always tucked in the crook of her arm so it would be close to her heart. Sometimes when she was in a hurry, she would hang on to Winnie’s little arm while he dangled by her side. We read all the Winnie the Pooh stories to her just before bedtime, and we felt as though Pooh’s family was our family too.

I took my daughter everywhere - grocery store, furniture shopping, the mall, the playground, McDonalds, out with friends – we had a grand time. One day when my daughter was about 4 years old, I took her to Macy’s while I shopped for carpeting. She had a ball crawling all over the wool rugs while I talked to the salesman. When it was time to go, I gathered up my daughter, her stroller, and my bags and headed for the parking lot. We got all settled in the car and were halfway home when a blood-curdling scream came from the back seat, “Poooohhh Bearrrr!” I thought the stuffed animal had come to life and was strangling her. I glanced in the rearview mirror and my daughter was sobbing. I didn’t see the little yellow bear, so I figured she had left Pooh Bear at Macy’s. I turned around to go back. Luckily Pooh Bear had not been abducted by another little person, because we found him tucked under the fold of a rug, safe and sound. Boy was my daughter happy. She hugged that little bear all the way home. It occurred to me then that I needed to buy a back-up Winnie the Pooh just in case we weren’t so lucky the next time.

On Facebook today, a friend posted a link to 10 Winnie-the-Pooh quotes, as written by A.A. Milne. It made me appreciate my daughter’s love for a little bear that gave her so much pleasure, and I realized that this little bear could make me feel better about life too. Here are some of my favorites quotes:

“It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn’t use long, difficult words
but rather short, easy words like ‘What about lunch?’”
_________________________________________________________________________________

“What day is it?”
It’s today,” squeaked Piglet.
My favorite day,” said Pooh.”
_________________________________________________________________________________

“It’s not much of a tail, but I’m sort of attached to it.”
_________________________________________________________________________________

“Promise you won’t forget me, ever. Not even when I’m a hundred.”







No comments:

Post a Comment